My first job out of college was in Sales and Customer Relations of a start up eCommerce company. Mostly I used to handle customer queries & complaints and to deal with lot of grievances from the customer end. I hated it at the beginning, but my boss explained a commission breakdown that while handling customer relations if I could up sell a alternate product as well, and I agreed to give it a whirl.
I became a pro at selling extras, I started to see my paychecks grow. Soon, I was making more than I had when I was relying on the arbitrary gratuities. However it was not a smooth and easy ride, it takes blood sweat & tears to reach a level of seeing your paychecks grow.
What it really means to work in sales?
- You will deal with lot of rejections, handling objections to staying consistent. As per Keenan the hardest part of sales is where you need to be focused because that’s where you’re not yet good enough.
- There will always be an awkward moment in Sales, if you come prepared there will be less awkward moment.
- You should never stop learning as I mentioned earlier blogs as well, keep updating whether it’s choosing the right mentor, researching your clients, or reading books and blogs, stay on top of your game.
- To become a successful Sales Leader, you have to motivate and support the people who work for you. You need to take time and understand them. Great leaders put their team first.
- Working in Sales is not boring at all, anytime you’re working people you can expect crazy things to happen. But having a little craziness in your life is not bad at all.
- Lastly but not the least, 3 P’s that I follow with my work i.e Passion, Persistence & Patience. It helps me to stay on top of the game.